Don’t Make These 3 Big Mistakes This Tax Season

A man who is irritated and confused has problems and is confused when he looks at his laptop screen in the office.

It’s the start of every American’s most anticipated time of the year: tax time. On January 24th, the IRS will begin accepting tax forms for the fiscal year 2022. Here are the three biggest tax filing errors that taxpayers make.

1) Don’t take advantage of last-minute tax savings opportunities.

It’s way too late to alter the majority of the elements that will affect the tax bill for 2022. There are some things you could accomplish before the April 18 tax deadline. An IRA allows you to contribute at least $6,000 (or $7,000 if you are 50 or older). If you do not have a retirement savings plan through your employer or have reached the income limit but have taxable income, you may contribute to a traditional IRA, where the money will be invested and grow tax-free until withdrawn. There is a penalty of 10% for withdrawals prior to age 60 1/2; however, exemptions apply to qualified education expenses and up to $10,000 over the course of a lifetime for a first home purchase.

Don’t Make These 3 Big Mistakes This Tax Season
Don’t Make These 3 Big Mistakes This Tax Season

Another type of IRA that you can select is the Roth IRA. Contributions aren’t tax deductible; however, the gains are tax-free when you withdraw them after five years and at age 59 1/2. Contrary to a traditional IRA, however, you are able to take out the total amount of the contributions (but not the profits) at any point without penalties or tax. If your earnings are too excessive to make a contribution to the Roth IRA, you can make a “backdoor” Roth IRA by making contributions to an existing IRA and then changing it into a Roth IRA.

In the event that you’re part of an insurance policy with a high deductible, another way to reduce your tax liability for the coming year and now is to contribute to a health savings account, also known as an HSA (up to $3,650 for singles and $7,300 for families, with an additional $1000 if you are 55 or older this year). As with the traditional IRA, it is tax-deductible, but the withdrawals are tax-free in the event of eligible health-related expenses. You can also make use of it to pay for medical expenses without paying the standard penalty of 20% that begins at the age of 65 (although it is tax-deductible for medical expenses that are not medical).

2) In the process of preparing to save

There are a variety of reasons why tax returns shouldn’t be put off until the very last minute. You never think about when your tax return will be more complicated than you expected. It is possible that you will require additional documents or additional information or have to change from using software to employing an experienced tax professional. If that’s the case, you’ll need time to locate the perfect person, not just the one who is available at the busiest time of the year.

The only thing more damaging than owing a large amount to the IRS is to discover right before the deadline that you’re unable to pay. Then you’ll be liable for penalties and interest as well. If you file earlier, you’ll have more time to save money or else find the money to pay the tax bill.

If you are able to get a refund, filing your tax return earlier will help you receive your refund sooner and put it to better use. It is also common to need an income tax return when you are applying for a mortgage or when your children are applying for financial aid. If you file it early, it will give you an advantage in completing the forms.

The final and most frequent kind of theft is when someone is able to submit taxes under your name and then disappear with the tax refund, which leaves you to explain to the IRS why everything you have stated in your tax return is incorrect. Identity theft, unlike other types of fraud, cannot be stopped with a secure freeze and will not be detected in credit monitoring because there is no credit involved.The best way to stop it is to file your tax return before someone else files it on your behalf.

3) You have chosen the wrong tax payer.

With the plethora of tax software available, making your own tax filing is now easier than ever. If your adjusted gross income is less than $73,000, you may be eligible for the free tax filing programme described in this article. Be aware that these programmes do not cover returns with a minimum of complexity.

If you’re not eligible, however, you are still able to access free tax forms to fill out. But they only perform the math and provide only basic advice, so you’ll need to be able and willing to complete your tax returns on your own. In addition, all the information you provide is deleted eventually, so you’ll never be able to access the information in the future, in the event that you store it elsewhere.

In any event, doing your own taxes isn’t the most appropriate option for everyone. If you have an investment property or a business estate, the ambiguities of the tax code could make it difficult to know what is tax deductible and what costs can be deducted. Working or living in several states or countries, purchasing and selling investments that are in taxable accounts, or even being a non-US citizen can create tax issues that are more complicated and time-consuming. In all these situations, the services of a tax professional can help you make sense.

But hiring a tax professional will generally cost more than doing it yourself. In 2021, it was reported that the National Society of Accountants found the median cost to be 220 dollars for a 1040 and a state return that do not have deductions itemized, $323 for a 1040 with itemised deductions (Schedule A) and a state tax return, and $778 for business owners who have capital gains, losses, or rental income and losses. Compare this to software applications that typically cost less than $80 for state and federal filings.

For a straightforward tax return, the nearest H&R Block SQ 0.0 percent, Jackson Hewitt, or mom-and-pop tax preparation services are likely to be sufficient. However, for more complicated situations that do not require a business, it is possible to engage the services of an enrolled agent (EA). The IRS authorises enrolled agents to prepare personal income tax returns and represent individuals before the IRS. But they’re typically more costly than preparers who are not credentialed.

In the end, if you have to have a return for your business prepared, you might consider hiring a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) who specialises in tax filing. Be aware that their rates are usually the highest of all the tax preparers, so it could be too expensive for one income tax return for an individual. If you’re in search of more extensive financial planning, think about using a CPA who is a personal financial specialist (PFS).

Of course, there are a lot of tax filing errors to avoid, such as not being organised or making mistakes with computations; however, these are the three most costly mistakes that could be costing you. Make sure you take advantage of the remaining tax-saving opportunities. Start early and select the best person to complete your tax returns. In the end, tax season may not appear as taxing as it should.

- Advertisement -
Avatar photo
Samatha Vale
Samatha a senior writer for HC's entertainment team. She is an entreprenuer, mother and an excellent writer. She's also an avid reader, music enthusiast and all around inquisitive person - which is just a nice way of saying she's nosy.

Latest articles

Related articles